Sunday, August 16, 2009

Top 25 Westerns

Everybody loves a top 25 list because it gives everyone something to argue about. This one should be no exception. If you love westerns the way I do this can keep you arguing for days. One thing I have learned in this cowboy endeavor is that I definitely need a top 50 list so I guess I'll have to post that one in the future. I hope you enjoy.







1.Lonesome Dove

This is the best, hands down, Robert Duval and Tommy Lee Jones look and sound exactly like old time Texans. The most authentic western ever made. If you could time travel and watch real old timers this is pretty much what it would look like. Except for Gus's hat, That "Tom Mix" style didn't come out for about another 20 years.






2. Good Old Boys


This is not one of the more popular westerns but it is really as good as it gets. Just like Lonesome Dove it is painstakingly authentic. Tommy Lee Jones delivers another truly authentic cowboy performance. It doesn't hurt using one of Elmer Kelton's novels either. If you're from around San Angelo and west Texas you can really relate to this one.









3. Barbarosa


Willie Nelson's best performance. Very funny and poignant great storytelling. Represents everything Texas is known for, German immigrants, outlaws, Mexicans etc. etc. Also one of Gary Busey's early performances before he became a total psycho and born again Christian.







4. Rio Bravo

The Duke is the man! He is by far the most represented man on this list. This movie was made in response to High Noon because Duke felt like no self-respecting law man would go around town begging for help. Two more of my favorite people in here too. Dean Martin and Walter Brennan almost steal the movie from Duke.










5. Tombstone

Great Story, again it looks authentic, which is the key with me to a great western. Kurt Russell has always been underrated. This is his best performance. Powers Boothe, Stephen Lang, Harey Carey Jr. and Buck Taylor are great in support.






6. The Cowboys


If I didn't pick Rio Bravo, I would have put this one as the best Duke movie. Where do you even start with John Wayne? I love this guy, hell I was named after him, at least that's my dad's side of the story. I guess I picked this one just because I love stories about actual "Cowboys". Just because a story took place in the 1800's it doesn't mean they were cowboys




7. Conhager
If anyone ever looked the part of the American cowboy; it is Sam Elliott. He does not disappoint at all in this adaption of Louis L'amour's novel. Barry Corbin and James Gammon give great performances. Excellent western!







8. The Shadow Riders
Tom Selleck and Sam Elliott are a tough combination to beat. Throw in my favorite character actor; Ben Johnson and you have a winning combination. Louis L'amour really knew how to write a western but it takes guys like Selleck, Elliott, and Johnson to bring it to life.






9. The Sacketts
Same cast, same author same result. One heck of a western. Tom, Sam and that other brother along with Ben Johnson again. This time it has great western actors like Glenn Ford, Slim Pickens and Jack Elam in it. Don't confuse it with the Shadow Riders they are two totally different movies.




10. The Undefeated
You really have to understand how hard it is for me to pick John Wayne movies. I guess this one is up there
because its about cowboys and it also has Ben Johnson in it. Not to mention Harry Carey Jr. and Dub Taylor, all great western actors.







11. Monte Walsh
Usually I like originals over remakes but this one is an exception. Lee Marvin and Jack Palance are in the original, and it is good but Tom Selleck and David Carridene knocked this one out of the park!
The themes of this story are very similar to The Good Old Boys.




12. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
I love, love, love Jimmy Stewart. Throw him in with John Wayne and you have a cant miss western. Great Story telling. Andy Devine, Lee Marvin and Denver Pyle help make a great cast. They just don't make movies this good anymore.







13 How the West Was Won
This is another type of movie hardly made anymore. An epic about the great westward expansion. It was known as Manifest Destiny. This movie is loaded with stars. Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Henry Fonda and the list goes on and on.








14. Centennial
This is very similar to the movie above it. Get ready though this movie is 27hrs long. It took me over two weeks to watch it all but the story is so good you never get bored. If you have ever seen "Into the West" you'll see where the inspiration came from. This movie starts with mountain men in the 1700's goes through settlers in the 1850's to cowboys in the 1870's to railroads and land grab schemes at the turn of the last century to the dust bowl of the 1930's and finally ends with Andy Griffith trying to solve a mystery in Centennial, Colorado in the 1970's. Great movie, great history lesson.

15. The Mountain Men
This is not the most famous western in the world but everyone should watch it. It really does justice to the mountain man era of the 1820's and '30's. Charlton Heston and Brian Keith play wild crazy mountain men (are there any other kind). Funny movie about a rough way of life.






16. Dances With Wolves
This list is getting harder to do. Now I start arguing with myself about which movie should be ranked higher. Kevin Costner told one of the best stories of the west and it showed another, better side of the Indians. It showed that they were real people not just a backdrop. Other movies have done this too but this one really shed light on it all.




17. Big Jake
Big Surprise, another John Wayne movie, this is vintage JW, kicking hind quarters and taking names. A word of advice, don't ever kidnap the Duke's grandson.






18. The Outlaw Josey Wales
I really like Clint Eastwood too,even though this is his only western in my top 25. I think he has a bunch of really good ones but I always thought this one was great. It is also a great history lesson about what happened after the civil war. The old Indian Chief Dan George steals this movie though!





19. Last days of Frank and Jesse James
There have been a ton of movies about Jesse James and his brother but I think this one is the best. If you love country music you'll love this one. Kris Kristofferson (looks just like J.J.) Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, June Carter Cash, Ed Bruce and David Allan Coe.





20. El Dorado
Howard Hawks (director) made a trilogy of movies that involved being held up in a jail. Rio Bravo was the first, Rio Lobo was the last. This was the middle one. The story is very similar to Rio Bravo but it stands alone as it's own movie. No Dean Martin this time but Robert Mitchum is no slouch himself.




21. Jeremiah Johnson
Most people know this movie more than "The Mountain Men" but I don't think it is quite as good. It is still an excellent western dealing with trapping and hunting in the Rockies during the 1840's. Most mountain men re-enactors consider this one a must own!







22. The Alamo
This one counts for John Wayne and Billy Bob Thornton's versions. John's glorifies it and Billy Bob's is meticulous but I'm sure Davy Crockett and Fess Parker would approve of both.







23. Texas
This is James Michener's second entry on my list (Centennial). This is not really historically accurate, because he builds his own fictional story around the Alamo and San Jacinto but it is very entertaining and well acted. Makes you very proud to be a Texan.







24. Red River
I guess this was the first great "cattle drive" movie. If you like Lonesome Dove you'll like this one. Be prepared though John Wayne is a total @#$ in this one. Walter Brennan is also in it. That is one guy that was made to be a sidekick in western movies.






25. Rooster Cogburn
Some people may look at this one and wonder how I could pick it over True Grit. Well the answer is simple I could not stand that girl in True Grit. I kept waiting for Duke to pull out that Colt and plug her just to shut her up. Then I'm supposed to believe that Glen Campbell is a Texas Ranger and the Duke is from Arkansas!
No, TG is a good movie but it is all out of whack for me. This sequel with Katharine Hepburn playing off the Duke was much, much better!

Well like I said in the beginning. I definitely will have to make a 26-50 list because I am thinking of a lot of western flicks that I love that aren't here. So whenever I get that info together I'll post it and we can argue about those too.
God and Texas,
Jason Watson

1 comment:

  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world had crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure for Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / .  or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.

    ReplyDelete