Sunday, August 23, 2009

Shane

Last week I posted my top 25 westerns and one movie that was noticeably absent was Shane. I have talked to people from time to time about that movie and told them what I really thought about it. I know it is one of the most legendary movies ever made but for me it just didn't cut the mustard.

People may ask why, well the simple answer was, I never really liked it. I don’t mean to make anyone mad. I know many people love that western. For me, I don’t know, maybe it was just Alan Ladd himself. I just wasn’t sold on him being a westerner. Authenticity is probably the biggest factor in how well I rate a western. For starters, that hat he had on was right out of 1950’s central casting and those clothes looked like a Davy Crockett starter kit.



I think if Jimmy Stewart, Audie Murphy or Gary Cooper had played that part I would like it a lot better. Come to think of it 'Coop would have been great in that role! I will say this for it though, it had Ben Johnson in it which automatically makes any western better. Jack Palance and Edgar Buchanan were also nice western touches.

The first hour of the movie just seemed to drag on and on and on. I know they were trying to build the story line but that thing could have put insomniacs to sleep. It didn’t really pick up until Jack Palance shot that old boy in the street. Gosh, I hate to think that someone had to get killed just to wake me up. Anyway from there the story did seem to pick up a little bit.

The story does pick up from there. The settlers have decided they have had enough and decide to fight back against the cattle barons. Shane has tried to start a new life but he realizes he can run from who he is. It’s like Popeye used to say “I yam what I yam”. The movie does have a pretty climactic ending with the obligatory shootout and Shane rides off in the moonlight.

If any of you have ever seen the movie “The Negotiator” with Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Spacey they actually discuss this movie. They are arguing whether or not Shane died at the end. Sam Jackson said he lived. Spacey says no he died. After watching the movie; I think I have to agree with Sam I don’t think Shane was dead, just winged a little bit.

Anyway, for what it is worth this is my explanation for Shane. I think it was a great story, it was an ok movie. I recommend Hondo over Shane any day. They are not the same movie but there are a lot of similarities in both of them


God and Texas,

Jason Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment